Chemise Poilu - White Dobby Stripe SOLD OUT
Pattern: An original mfsc pattern inspired by vintage French military uniform shirts, Old World fancy tailoring and early utilitarian shirting.
Fabric: Fine 100% cotton, white background with woven blue and black pinstripe, alternating herringbone twill and sateen weave.
* Pull-over type, with front expansion pleat.
* Stand collar with chin strap.
* Genuine bone buttons of assorted sightly contrasting natural colors.
* Original mfsc pocket shapes and flaps.
* Unbalanced chest pocketing. Elongated right pocket fits average mobile phone.
* Tab on button placket to secure to breeches’ waist button.
* Cuffs and back yoke shirring.
* Contrasting shirt tails, longer in back and rounded in front.
* Inside triangular side gusset reinforcement patches.
* Original mfsc “Pioupiou” woven rayon label.
* Made in Japan.
The Mister Freedom® Chemise Pioupiou comes raw/unwashed, and will shrink to tagged size. Follow the usual recommended initial method before wearing: cold soak for 30mn, spin dry and line dry. Please refer to sizing chart to determine which size works for you.
CL's Advice: Both versions will fit the same following the above procedure. I am usually a Medium (15½) in mfsc shirting, and I opted for a Medium in both fabric options, for a comfortable somewhat ‘period’ fit due to the extended rear shirt tail.
Extra (quite attractive) seam puckering will happen if using a heat dryer (on low), and will also result in extra (minimal) shrinkage as the seams pull.
Machine wash on delicate, cold water, minimal eco-friendly detergent. Turn inside-out. Line dry only.
The Grandfather of the M35 Shirt was a flannel pull-over collarless shirt introduced in 1878. Issued in stripe or small check patterns, that M1878 shirt might seem like an odd choice for an official piece of WW1 uniform! However, the civilian-looking shirt was not met to show under a fully-buttoned tunic, and was only worn on the outside during rest periods or chow time at camp.
The MF® interpretation of the M1878 is a departure from the simple pattern and tent-like dated fit of the vintage originals. A key element is also the choice of fabric. We have sourced out fancy shirting textiles and settled on two distinct cotton Dobby stripe fabrics.
Shirring on the cuffs and back yoke also add a touch of fancy tailoring. Genuine bone button with subtle variations in color are an extra vintage reference.
The MF® Chemise PIOUPIOU is designed in California by Mister Freedom® and manufactured in Japan by Sugar Cane Co.