* Fabric: 14 Oz. “Jungle Cloth”, 100% cotton grosgrain, period mil-specs, the notorious shell fabric of 1940’s USN deck jackets, dyed to a deep and dark indigo shade. Milled and indigo-dyed in small batches in Japan.
* Unlined body.
* Hood lined with fine indigo-dyed cotton popeline.
* Heavy-duty 1940’s-style US military spring-loaded “CROWN” zipper replica.
* Two large patch pockets with flap closure, and two hand-warming slash pockets featuring beige corduroy bags.
* Corrozzo wood buttons.
* OD Cotton web belt, removable, featuring an authentic made-in-USA USMC Mil. Specs. powder-coated metal buckle.
* Inside OD cotton tape piping, no open/overlocked seams.
* Olive green contrast stitching.
* Made in Japan.
The Mister Freedom® M-17 Parka comes raw/unwashed and we recommend an initial 30mn cold soak and hang dry to get rid of shrinkage. Please refer to sizing chart to figure which size will work for you.
CL's Advice: I opted for a size comfortable size Medium, my usual size in mfsc jackets, anticipating layering it with other garments comes winter. Note that I could fit into a size Small with a light shirt, slimmer silhouette but no layering possible.
When cleaning is required, turn inside out, unzipped and unbuttoned, and hand wash in cold water with mild eco-friendly detergent designed for delicate fabrics. Heavy indigo crocking is to be expected, wash separately from all other garment.
Due to the bulkiness of this garment, and its weight when soaked, we do not recommend using a home washing machine. This will potentially ruin both the M-17 Parka and your washing machine. Additionally, excessive and unnecessary agitation will leave unattractive marbling marks, even if the garment is turned inside out.
Note: Color crocking (temporarily bleeding onto other lighter-colored textiles) is to be expected. Will subside over time.
Design-wise, we adapted the pattern of a vintage US Air Force-issued M-47 “Overcoat, Parka Type”, molding it into a practical, unlined civvy garment, blending military, nautical and utilitarian outdoorsy vibes. Having turned the classic Olive Drab 1947 model into a 2017 garment, we simply named it “M-17 Parka”.
The choice of indigo-dyed jungle cloth for the shell became obvious after witnessing how this handsome fabric evolves overtime, with normal wear and exposure to the elements.
Those into waxing their gear for weatherproofing, or for the rugged aesthetics, can do so with Otter Wax or natural bees wax.
This MF® garment is designed in California by Mister Freedom® and manufactured in Japan by Sugar Cane Co.